- to make files more readable e.g. 'DSC00001.JPG' can be renamed as '0001 Olivia and Euan's Wedding (7 Jan 17).JPG'
- to make them consistent e.g. covert all .JPG extensions to .jpeg
- to append metadata about the file itself e.g. filename becomes 'Make [Canon] Model [EOS Rebel t5] Artist [Ben Smith] [DayOfYear 69 0001].jpeg'
- to correct an error in the naming convention e.g. replace the phrase 'New Zeeland' with 'New Zealand'
- you can correct just the file's name, just the extension or both e.g. make the extensions lowercase
- you can rename just the folders, or the enclosed files or both
- view, catalog and export the metadata without changing the files e.g. Author, Lens, GPS, Application editor
- Extract a copy of certain files (e.g. by artist, camera or date) to another location
- Export and print a list of the enclosed files with all attributes and metadata for a client, along with the memory stick of files
- Compare hash tags to see if a file has been changed internally
- Use UTC creation and modification dates so simultaneous photoshoots can be coordinated world-wide or as you travel.
- Advanced users can use RegEx to build sophisticated renaming rules.
- Add a sequential number to be unique overall, or unique per subfolder. Useful for later identification.